he older I get the more I understand that there is a rhythm to life and a rhythm to every life. A definite beat. A pulse from out of which all the rhythms are grounded. A beat from which all other rhythms arise. Each season has its own time signiture (winter,to me seems a slow, bluesy, 6/8). The divine matrix is poly-harmonic and poly-rhythmic and still, be it Coltrane or Jagger or Ringo or Bach there is still, underlying all, the pulse. The beat. The boom boom boom!
"Turn, Turn, Turn," is a song about "equanimity," from the book of Ecclesiastes. Though no bible scholar, to me, the book of Ecclesiastes only makes it more clear that everything is impermanent and when we grasp and try to hold on that we are missing the boat.....that we are not in rhythm, that we are off beat. Its an old saying I know, but does anyone really march to their own drummer? Does anyone really exist out of rhythm, out of synch with the dance of life? For long? And live to tell about it??
The more I practice loving-kindness....the more I cultivate seeds of compassion and joy, the more I start to "get" the concept of "Equanimity." The more I struggle with letting go of the "vanity of vanities," the easier and more satisying it becomes to simply connect with and play the basic beats. To do what one can at any given time, to give what one can in the moment.
Doc Rob
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment